When is the right time to get a tutor?
The school year has started for many families. You have already developed a daily routine as a family and have gotten used to the hectic mornings. Your child loves their teacher(s) and even has friends in each of their classes. Kids are finishing a carefree summer and are excited for a successful school year. A year packed with learning and growth.
How do you know when your child needs extra support to have a year of learning and growth? You as the parent know what is best for your child. Here are a few signs that might help you in deciding if now is the time to get a tutor for your child.
1) Is homework taking longer? Find out why. Do they have a huge project coming up or is the workload the same and it’s taking them longer to complete? Especially in math and science, concepts build on each other. Missing or not understanding just one concept can have an impact on future learning.
2) Needing help is normal. Kids are usually able to get help from teachers and friends at school. If you start noticing that your child is needing more help than usual and the people they went to before can no longer help, it might be time to look into getting a tutor.
3) Depending on the age of your kids, you might be hearing that they hate everything more than usual. They hate their teacher. They hate their math class. If they generally liked school until now, then “I hate math class” could really mean “I don’t get this!”
4) You see your kid doing homework and studying for tests, but their grades are still going down. If your child is really putting in the work and not seeing results, it might be time to find out what the problem is and get some extra help for them.
5) Are you seeing that your child can’t concentrate on schoolwork? They start turning in late assignments or not turning assignments in at all. Are they ignoring homework, projects, and studying for tests or quizzes? Have they gotten so frustrated that it looks like they may have given up? It might be time to get them a tutor to help them get back on track.
These are just a few things to look out for as the school year progresses. You might notice these things early or don’t notice them until later on in the school year. You are the parent and know your child the best. If you think it’s time to get a tutor to help them get on track or stay on track, give us a call so we can discuss your needs.